Are you someone who loves road trips and exploring new areas? What if I told you that you can get paid to drive? Yes, you can actually find ways to get paid to drive a car across the country. The biggest things holding people back from traveling more are usually making money and travel expenses,…
Are you someone who loves road trips and exploring new areas? What if I told you that you can get paid to drive?
Yes, you can actually find ways to get paid to drive a car across the country.
The biggest things holding people back from traveling more are usually making money and travel expenses, but this is something that many people can work around.
Here’s a list of ways to explore the United States and get paid to travel with RV or car driving.
11 Ways To Make Money Driving A Car Across The Country
Here are 11 ways to make money driving a car across the country.
1. Relocate a car with Auto Driveaway or Driveaway USA
Auto Driveway and Driveway USA are companies that connect drivers with people or companies needing their vehicles relocated. Vehicle relocation drivers are wanted and needed with these companies – and that’s where you come in.
To get paid to relocate cars, you need to:
- Register as a driver with Autodriveaway or Driveway USA
- Meet their requirements (valid driver’s license, clean driving record, minimum age)
- Apply to become a driver
Once you’re accepted, you’ll be added to their pool of drivers. Autodriveaway or Driveway USA will contact you when they have a vehicle that needs to be relocated with their car delivery services.
Once the vehicle is delivered, you get paid according to the terms that you agreed on. Payment varies based on distance traveled, urgency of delivery, and any additional services required.
If you know others who are interested, they also have a referral bonus program.
2. RV deliverer
Delivering RVs can be a fun and unique way to make money while exploring different parts of the country.
Traveling across the U.S. delivering RVs can be a fun way to explore different parts of the country.
My sister has RVed full-time for years, and has met many people delivering RVs for income. It’s pretty common to deliver new RVs, as well as rental RVs to where they need to go. RVs need to be delivered with someone driving it usually because they are too big to be towed. So, you may be delivering anything from a Class B campervan all the way to a big motorhome diesel pusher.
To get started delivering RVs, follow these steps:
- Search for companies specializing in RV transportation
- Meet the necessary driver requirements (may include having a commercial driver’s license/CDL)
- Apply to companies that are hiring RV drivers
- Safely transport RVs across the country
You can also reach out to RV dealerships directly to see if they need any drivers. Sometimes they even have delivering cars for dealerships job listings on their website.
Recommended reading: How To Make Money While RVing
3. Truck driver
Driving a truck across the U.S. is a job in high demand and in need of safe drivers. Not only that, it can be a lucrative career choice and get you exploring new parts of the country.
To become a truck driver, you’ll need to:
- Get a Commercial Driver’s License (also known as a CDL)
- Apply to trucking companies
- Consider owner-operator opportunities (where you invest in your own truck and work for yourself)
Truck driver’s annual salary ranges from $30,000-$80,000+ per year, with that number being much higher if you own your truck and take jobs as needed.
Recommended reading: 26 High Paying Jobs With No Experience Required
4. Advertise on your car with Wrapify
Wrapify is a company that pays drivers to wrap their personal cars in advertisements. Advertisers pay companies like Wrapify to find people who will wrap their car in a vinyl decal. This decal has advertisements that show off different products or services a company provides.
Here’s how to get started on Wrapify:
- Download the Wrapify app onto your phone
- Sign up to become a driver
- Once campaigns are available in your area, you’ll see offers in the Wrapify app
There are many other companies where you can make side hustle earnings, such as Carvertise.
Recommended reading: 6 Best Ways To Get Paid to Advertise On Your Car
5. Deliver with Roadie
Roadie is a company that works with businesses of all sizes for same-day and local next-day delivery in regular passenger vehicles.
With Roadie, you can deliver pretty much anything – from lawnmowers to luggage, and anything else.
How much you get paid on Roadie depends on factors like distance between pick-up and delivery locations, how fast the delivery speed is, and the size of the items being delivered (larger and heavier items are usually more money).
Getting started with Roadie is simple. Here’s how to get started:
- Click “Start Driving Today” to start registration. You’ll need to enter your driver’s license and bank info.
- Download the Roadie Driver app and get started on the driver verification process.
- Once you’re verified, you can view offers and start earning.
6. Travel blogger
Working as a travel blogger is a fun way to explore the United States by car.
To get paid as a travel blogger, you can work with hotels and travel companies, get paid with display advertising on your blog, sell products through your blog, and more.
Here are tips for starting work as a travel blogger:
- Build a strong blog as well as a social media presence on Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok
- Determine your niche in the travel industry (luxury travel, budget travel, family travel, adventure travel, etc.)
- Share high-quality content that tells a story about your travels
Getting started as a travel blogger usually means that you should be authentic, consistent, and genuine in your writing and pictures. As you gain traffic and followers, you’ll get more offers to collaborate with hotels and brands.
You can learn how to start a blog in How To Start A Blog FREE Course.
7. Travel Youtuber
Similar to being a travel blogger, a travel Youtuber focuses on video content. You’ll want to post high-quality, engaging videos that tell a story about your travels.
Travel Youtubers monetize their Youtube channel by joining the Youtube Partner Program, which allows you to make money via ad revenue.
Besides ad revenue, you can also make money through affiliate marketing, which is where you include affiliate links in your videos for travel-related products or services. For example, you may share links to your favorite hotel to stay at, a travel book that you enjoyed reading, a piece of luggage that you always travel with, and more.
Other ways to make money are by providing personalized travel itineraries, merchandise related to your brand, or travel consulting.
Rideshare drivers on apps like Hovr and Hitch (if you’re located in Florida or Texas, there are many openings) get paid to travel long distances. These apps connect drivers with riders who need rides from city to city (for example, from Los Angeles to San Francisco, California).
Drivers on Hitch make $21+ per hour on every drive, every time. You can sign up for Hitch by choosing carpooling or professional driving. Carpooling is a great option if you’re already traveling to a city yourself and want to make extra money doing it.
In this gig economy, there are also many other ways to make money as a driver. You could also drive for Uber Eats, Uber Driver, DoorDash, Instacart (groceries), Amazon Flex, and more.
9. Google Street View Driver
Becoming a Google Street View Driver is a way to contribute to the mapping of the world and get paid for it. According to online reviews of people who have done this job in the past, the work is easy and you get paid around $15 per hour for driving by yourself in a car.
Google hires third-party companies for their drivers, so you need to research Certified Google Street View Trusted Agencies to find jobs. Finding a job as a Google Street View Driver can be difficult because the jobs are never listed as “Google Street View Driver”. The job listings are usually listed as driver + computer experience needed, which can be quite vague.
Here’s a guide on how to earn money as a Google Street View driver:
- Find a Certified Google Street View Agency and apply for a job
- Meet requirements which may include a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, ability to travel extensively, etc.
10. Relocate Pets
Transporting pets across the United States is a unique job that pays you to relocate pets to different parts of the country.
There are many ways to get paid for transporting pets including:
- Working at a company that pays drivers to transport pets to new homes
- Pet rescue organizations that need volunteers or paid drivers to transport animals to their homes or adoption events
- Freelance pet transportation services for pet owners, breeders, and shelters
In order to work as a pet transporter, you will need a clean driving record, insurance coverage, and a pet-friendly vehicle that is safe for pet transport. It’s also, of course, important that you know how to handle different types of animals.
Mover is a European-based platform that connects drivers with gigs to deliver items like cars across Europe. In order to work for Mover, you need to have a Danish passport.
To make money delivering cars through Mover, follow these steps:
- Download the Mover Driver app and create a profile
- Submit documents like EU driver’s license, clean criminal record, and Danish passport for approval
Frequently Asked Questions About How To Get Paid To Drive A Car Across The Country
Here are answers to common questions about how to get paid to drive a car across the country.
How can I get paid to drive around? Can I make money driving my car?
You can get paid to drive around by:
- Relocating cars
- Transporting pets
- Delivering RVs
- Travel blogging
- Truck driving
- Placing advertisements on your vehicle
- and more!
Most of the ways above are available in the U.S., but some are available in Canada, as well as a few other countries.
What app pays you for driving miles?
There are several apps that give rewards or payment for driving miles. Some of these apps include:
- Upside – Gives cash back on gas purchases. So, you don’t get paid for the actual miles you drive, but you do get cash back for the fuel you put in your tank!
- MileUp – Tracks driving and rewards you with points for each mile you drive
- Hoopla: Drive & Win – Rewards users with points for safe driving and chances to win prizes or cash based on points earned
- Lifecoin – This app tracks your steps and driving miles, converting them to LifeCoins, which can be redeemed for rewards like gift cards or discounts
- Lyft and Uber – Rideshare drivers can earn money by driving passengers to their destinations
All of these apps have different requirements for signing up to get paid driving miles. Make sure to understand how these apps track and reward your driving miles before using them.
How much money can you make driving a car across the country?
The amount of money you can earn driving a car across the country depends on several things, such as:
- What type of work you’re doing (Uber vs. truck driver vs. travel blogger)
- Fuel costs and other vehicle expenses
Drivers can make anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars driving a car across the country depending on what kind of work they’re doing.
Also, some jobs are full-time, and others are part-time.
How do I drive a car across the country for someone else?
You can also get paid to drive a car across the country for someone else. This is typically through vehicle relocation services or auto transport services.
Here’s how you can get started.
- Contact vehicle transportation companies that specialize in connecting drivers with people who need vehicles driven across the country
- Apply as a driver and meet the required qualifications like a clean driving record and a valid driver’s license
- Agree on details of the trip such as vehicle’s condition at pickup, any inspection requirements, the route, etc.
- Drive the vehicle to its destination safely
You can reach out to car dealerships, courier companies, RV manufacturers, and more to find jobs.
How can I get paid to relocate cars?
You can get paid to relocate cars by applying to work for vehicle relocation companies, such as car rental companies. Rental car companies pay people to relocate vehicles from one area to another, for example.
Auto dealerships sometimes require drivers to relocate cars to different showrooms, auctions, and distribution centers, which may be cross-country.
Besides working for one company, you can also freelance your car relocation services. You can advertise your services to relocate cars for individuals or businesses. With this, you’d typically be an independent contractor and a professional driver – either full-time or part-time.
How to get paid to drive a car across the country for free?
You can explore different parts of the United States and get paid to do it by working for:
- Car relocation programs
- Carpooling jobs
- Work for Driveaway companies that reimburse drivers with gas or travel expenses
- Volunteering organizations will not give payment, but they may cover expenses like gas and accommodations
What jobs are there to get paid to drive new cars?
Some jobs even pay drivers to drive new cars. Some of these include car hauling or transport companies that want to transport new cars to dealerships.
Some car companies even hire test drivers to evaluate new models before they’re released. Test drivers give feedback on the comfort, features, and performance of the vehicle.
Automotive Journalists or Reviewers may get the opportunity to test out new cars in exchange for reviews on YouTube or magazines.
Ways To Get Paid To Drive A Car Across The Country – Summary
I hope you enjoyed this article on the different ways to get paid to drive across the country.
As you can see, there are many ways to make money doing this!
Driving a vehicle across the United States is a great way to travel the country without having to spend money. Instead, you can earn money and explore different regions of the U.S. while doing it.
What’s your favorite way to make money driving across the country?