Want to get rid of old furniture in your house? Looking for the best places to sell used furniture for cash? If you want to change out your furniture or if you simply want to start flipping furniture as a business and make some extra cash, this article will teach you how to sell used…
Want to get rid of old furniture in your house? Looking for the best places to sell used furniture for cash?
If you want to change out your furniture or if you simply want to start flipping furniture as a business and make some extra cash, this article will teach you how to sell used furniture online and near you.
Whether you want to sell a couch, dresser, dining room table, office furniture, chairs, accessories, or something else, there are ways to make some extra money by doing so.
Today, you’ll learn how to:
- Set a price for used furniture
- Find the best places to sell furniture items
- Turn furniture flipping into a side hustle
Plus, a step-by-step process on how to sell used furniture for cash.
How To Sell Used Furniture
How much can I make selling used furniture?
This question is tough to answer because furniture can vary widely, including factors like the designer, its condition, and more.
Two important factors:
- Condition – Does the furniture look like it’s in almost brand-new condition, with no holes, tears, or scratches? Perfect-condition furniture is going to sell for more than bad condition furniture.
- Where you sell – Something sold on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist may go for a lot less than an antique market with a different kind of buyer looking for unique pieces.
If you want a better idea of how much you can earn with specific furniture items, you can look up furniture pieces on platforms like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. You can also look at secondhand shops to see what furniture pieces are going for there.
Recommended reading: How I Flip Garage Sale Items On eBay As A Side Hustle
15 Best Places To Sell Used Furniture
There are many different places to sell used furniture including online platforms, antique stores, and yard sales.
Here are some popular options for the best places to sell used furniture for cash.
1. Facebook Marketplace
One of the easiest and best places to sell furniture online is simply right on Facebook Marketplace where you can list and sell furniture to local buyers.
Facebook Marketplace has a large customer base, making it easy for your furniture pieces to be seen by many people, as almost everyone already has Facebook and uses it every day.
Craigslist is a popular local website where you can post furniture items for sale and this is a great place to start as you won’t have shipping costs due to everything being local pickup.
It’s also free and easy to use, but be careful and aware of all of the Craigslist scams out there. I only accept cash when selling on Craigslist.
Recommended reading: Make Extra Cash By Learning How To Sell Your Stuff!
You can list your furniture on eBay, with the benefit of reaching buyers from around the world instead of selling locally only.
I used to always try to sell my belongings on eBay first. Customers are located all over the world, and for the most part, the fees aren’t too bad. Plus, everyone has heard of eBay.
AptDeco is a site where you can buy and sell used furniture.
On this website, you can sell lamps, wall shelves, mirrors, dining tables, chairs, couches, and so much more.
Aptdeco also arranges to pick up your items and helps the buyer with dropping them off. This way, you don’t have to meet the buyer in person.
1stDibs is a site for preowned luxury and high-end antique furniture.
I browsed this site and saw many used couches for sale from a couple thousand dollars all the way to almost $50,000. So, if you have expensive furniture that you’d like to sell, this can be a great place to start with.
You can upload clear images, describe your furniture’s condition, and set a competitive price. 1stDibs also gives guidance on pricing based on market trends which can be helpful since high-end furniture is such a niche market.
Bonanza is an online marketplace that makes it easy to sell all different kinds of items, such as furniture. People compare it to eBay and Amazon.
It’s a great option for people looking to declutter and make some extra cash. The site has an easy listing process where you can upload pictures of your furniture, describe its condition, and set a price.
7. Garage sales
A garage or yard sale is a great place to sell to local buyers in your area.
If you have many items that you want to sell, then having a garage sale is an easy way, and it can help you make quick money as everyone will be coming to you. Usually, you don’t charge very much for items at a garage sale though, so keep that in mind (you won’t want to sell your $10,000 couch via garage sale, for example).
8. Consignment shops near you
Local consignment stores may sell your used furniture, and they typically take a large percentage of the sale as their commission fee.
This can be an easy and convenient way to sell your used furniture and make some extra cash. The process is simple: you bring in your furniture, and the shop displays and markets it on your behalf. Once the item sells, you receive a portion of the sale price.
Consignment shops are a great option for people who want a hands-off approach to selling, as they handle the whole sales process for you. You simply just drop off the furniture to them and they do everything else.
9. Local Buy and Sell Facebook Groups
Most cities have a local buy-and-sell Facebook group where people can list their items in the group.
Local Buy and Sell Facebook Groups are like virtual neighborhood marketplaces where you can easily sell your used furniture. These groups are communities of people in your area who are looking to buy and sell different items, such as furniture.
You can negotiate prices, arrange for pickup or delivery, and complete the transaction without any middlemen.
OfferUp is a site where you can sell furniture and other items to people who live near you.
The furniture sold on this site is usually regular, everyday furniture. It’s not typically very fancy. For example, you might come across a couch for $200 or a table for $100.
You can upload photos of your furniture, provide a description, and set a price. OfferUp also has a messaging system, making it easy to talk to potential buyers. One of the great features of OfferUp is the ability to sell to buyers in your local area, which can make the process easy.
Letgo is now a part of OfferUp, but it was a popular site to sell furniture. I wanted to include it here in case anyone was interested in it.
One of the best sites for selling furniture that you have renovated or made yourself is Etsy.
For example, perhaps you made a wood dining room table, or you found an old piece of furniture and refreshed it with new paint and hardware.
This site is great for creative sellers and those with unique pieces to connect with buyers.
Recommended reading: How To Sell On Etsy Successfully
If you have furniture and home decor to sell, you might want to check out Chairish. You will pay a commission for your items, but it depends on how many things are listed on the site.
What sets Chairish apart is its focus on stylish furniture, making it a great choice for those with unique and high-end items that they want to sell.
They also have the Chairish Drop Off & Go program, which is where you can print out your Chairish-provided shipping label and drop it off with your item at a nearby UPS Store when your used furniture sells. You don’t even need to pack the item – UPS will do all of that for you.
14. Apartment Therapy’s Bazaar
Apartment Therapy’s Bazaar is a furniture selling site specifically for selling and buying vintage and designer furniture and decor.
What sets Bazaar apart from other places where you can sell used furniture is that they focus on higher-quality and carefully chosen items. While items aren’t in the tens of thousands like with Sotheby’s Home (mentioned below), you will find furniture around $1,000 or more quite often.
15. Sotheby’s Home
Sotheby’s is an online marketplace for selling and buying high-quality, pre-owned furniture and decor.
Sotheby’s Home sells vintage furniture from the 20th and 21st centuries in live auctions in New York City, Paris, and London, as well as in online-only auctions throughout the year.
I checked this website, and the furniture here is generally quite pricey. For example, you might find a couch for $10,000 or a dining set for $20,000.
How To Get Started Selling Used Furniture
Now that you know the best places to sell furniture, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to sell used furniture.
Find furniture to sell
You can either sell old furniture that’s already in your house or flip furniture you find while you’re out and about.
Here are some places where you can find furniture to sell:
- If you have furniture around your home that you don’t need, this is a good place to start, of course.
- Search secondhand shops and thrift stores for used furniture
- Go to estate sales and auctions to find furniture pieces
- Browse sites like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay for used furniture
- Find garage sales and yard sales for low prices
Clean and repair furniture
One of the best ways to increase your earnings from selling used furniture is by cleaning and repairing them.
This is because clean furniture is more appealing to buyers than something dirty. Furniture, of course, simply looks nicer when it is clean. Due to this, clean furniture can increase the price of the furniture and help you sell the item much more quickly.
To clean your furniture, you can use supplies like furniture polish, microfiber cloths, a vacuum, cleaning liquids, and more.
How to set a price for used furniture
So, what price do you sell used furniture for?
When pricing furniture to sell, you will want to be competitive and think of things such as age, condition, brand, original cost, demand, and whether you repurposed the piece or not.
This means before setting a price for your furniture, you’ll have to do some research. You can start your research by looking for furniture listings that are similar to what you want to sell to get an idea of what others are charging. Then, compare the condition of the furniture. For example, if it is in excellent condition, you can ask for a higher price compared to if it’s in fair condition.
Setting the right price can seem hard and take a lot of time at first, but with these tips and strategies, you’ll be able to find the right price for your used furniture pieces.
Related reading: 29 Best Stay At Home Jobs (#1 Is My Full-Time Job!)
How to list furniture
If you decide to sell furniture online (instead of at a consignment store or somewhere else locally), then there are some things that you will have to do.
Below are tips for listing furniture online to sell:
- Choose a site to list furniture – As we talked about above, there are many places such as Facebook Marketplace, eBay, Chairish, etc. You will want to think about where your target market is. For example, if you have a high-end piece that you want to sell for $10,000, then you probably want to sell on 1stDibs or Sotheby’s Home to get the most money for it. On the other end, if you have a $50 couch that you want to sell, then you will be better off selling it on Facebook.
- Take high-quality photos – You should take good photos from various angles in good lighting of the furniture that you want to sell.
- Have a catchy title and write a detailed description – Include information about the size (how wide is it?), the material or fabric that it is made of, the brand, and any imperfections.
- Delivery – Include if you will deliver for an extra fee. Offering this can appeal to more buyers as this makes it more convenient to buy the furniture.
- Set payment terms – Mention how you want to receive payment, whether it’s PayPal, Venmo, or cash.
Related reading: How Melissa Made $40,000 In One Year Flipping Items
Frequently Asked Questions About How To Sell Used Furniture
Below are answers to common questions about how to sell used furniture for money.
Can you make money selling second-hand furniture? Is selling furniture a good side hustle?
Yes, you can make money selling second-hand furniture, and this can be a good side hustle if you want to start a furniture flipping business. I have several friends who buy furniture to refurbish and resell for extra income. They do a great job too, improving the furniture (such as by painting it) and finding beautiful vintage pieces that others love.
What is the best place to sell furniture online? What is the best way to sell used furniture? Where can I sell my furniture?
The best places to sell used furniture online include Chairish, Facebook Marketplace, Etsy, and more. You could even sell furniture online on a social media platform, such as Instagram.
What is the best app to sell used furniture locally?
If you don’t want to pay service fees or transaction fees, then selling locally can be a great idea. The best app to sell used furniture locally is probably Facebook, as almost everyone already has a Facebook account and it’s easy to use.
Can you sell second-hand furniture on Amazon?
Yes, selling second-hand furniture on Amazon is possible, but you need to be honest and state that it is used in the description. The used section of Amazon is called Amazon Renewed and this is where you can sell high-quality pre-owned products.
Are there furniture stores that buy used furniture?
Yes! All of the sites listed above buy used furniture.
How can I take high-quality photos of used furniture?
To take good photos of the furniture that you want to sell, I recommend making sure there is good lighting, removing any clutter that may be on or around the furniture, and taking pictures of the furniture from different angles.
How can I stay safe when selling furniture?
You can do quite a few things to stay safe while selling used furniture and below are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Meet in a public place – I always recommend meeting buyers in a public place. A great option is a police station that has designated safe exchange zones.
- Bring someone with you – Have a family member or friend join you for the meeting.
- Tell someone your plans – Tell a friend or family member where you’re meeting the buyer, the time you’re meeting, and the buyer’s contact information.
- Set boundaries – Make it clear that you’re only accepting payment through a certain method, like PayPal, Venmo, or cash.
- Meet during the day – Meet during daylight hours when people are around. I do not recommend meeting at night time.
- Never share personal information – You should not share your private information like your home address or any financial details.
How can I turn furniture reselling into a side hustle?
You can turn selling used furniture into a side hustle or even a full-time job.
Below is how you can get started flipping furniture as a side hustle:
- Start getting inventory – Find used furniture from places like thrift stores, yard sales, or online marketplaces, and look for pieces that you can get for a low price and fix up yourself to sell for a higher price.
- Clean and repair – For the pieces that you decide to sell, make sure you clean and repair them in order to get the most money. This may include painting, repairing, and even reupholstering to make the furniture in better condition.
- Photograph pieces – List items online with high-quality photos taken from multiple angles and you should show any special features of the furniture piece like hardware, patterns, etc.
- Price competitively – Research similar items in your area and see what similar furniture pieces are going for.
- Be responsive – Respond to questions and messages from potential buyers as fast as you can.
- Social media – If you repurpose furniture, you may want to post short videos on Instagram and TikTok of you repairing the furniture and people love seeing before and after videos of furniture. Share a link to your online store or furniture piece in your social media bio.
How long does it take to sell used furniture?
Selling used furniture can take a few days or much longer. The time it takes to sell used furniture depends on the item’s condition, demand for the item, how much you price the item for, and which furniture selling site you use. If you’re in a hurry to sell a used furniture piece, then you should price it competitively and actively promote the piece on different sites.
How To Sell Used Furniture For Cash
I hope you enjoyed this article on the best ways to sell used furniture for cash.
Selling used furniture can be a great way to make some extra money or even a full-time income.
Remember, you will want to make sure to clean (and sometimes refurbish) the furniture and write detailed descriptions when posting the furniture online. Doing these things will increase the amount of money that you can make and help the furniture get sold quickly.
Whether you’re trying to declutter and get rid of unwanted furniture or make extra income, selling used furniture can be a fun side hustle to start.
Have you tried selling used furniture? Where do you think is the best place to sell used furniture?