Celebrate Filing with 2022 Tax Day Freebies and Deals
2022 Tax Day is April 18. While most companies have announced their freebies and deals, we’ll continue to update if we learn of any new ones. Some businesses seem to be procrastinating too!
We’ve had two years of tax filing extensions because of the pandemic but so far in 2022, the deadline to file is back to April.
The deadline to file your 2022 federal taxes is April 18.
If there is any such thing as normal anymore, April 15 is the traditional Tax Day. When the 15th falls on a weekend, the deadline is pushed forward to the next business day. The 15th is a Friday this year but it’s also the day that Washington, D.C., will observe Emancipation Day. Federal offices will be closed so that’s why the move to Monday, the 18th. That’s an extra weekend for all of you who’ve waited until the end.
In the meantime think about saving your refund for another time and start planning which Tax Day freebies and deals you will seek out. Oh, and there are lots of deals on tax prep software.
Tax Day Freebies and Deals
We’ve scoured the internet to figure out what companies are offering deals, discounts and freebies on Tax Day this year. Every little bit helps, right?
Retail Tax Day Deals
Most retailers offer discounts on specific tax software sold in-store, and others just offer great deals around Tax Day. Head to your favorite local grocery or apparel store around Tax Day to see what deals and freebies they have. For now, we’ve rounded up the following general Tax Day deals in retail stores:
Best Buy is offering several discounts off tax software, including popular products like TurboTax and H&R Block.
Buy TurboTax Deluxe for $10 off on Amazon and get a $10 Amazon gift card. Note: This an Apple Mac download.
Take advantage of free in-store shredding at Office Depot (and Office Max!) locations, now through April 23. Each customer can bring up to 5 pounds of documents to shred — just make sure you have this coupon.
Tax Software/Filing Tax Day Deals
Talk about waiting until the last minute! If you still need help ahead of Tax Day, check out some of these deals on software and tax prep:
Get 35% off your federal tax return, valid through April 18, 2022. You can find additional TaxSlayer coupons as well.
TurboTax gave $20 off its tax prep software through March 31, 2022. If you’re a TuboTax person, remember this for next year and get in on the deal before April rolls around.
Get 25% off select H&R Block online tax filing products.
Get 20% off your federal tax return through TaxAct, valid through Oct. 15, 2022.
Get 30% off tax filing through E-File using the code SAVE30.
Food and Drink Tax Day Deals
Celebrate the end of tax season with a free meal or a free round of drinks. Here are some of the best 2022 Tax Day freebies for food and drink.
From April 15 to April 18, Perdue Farms is offering 15% off all purchases on PerdueFarms.com. Just make sure you use the code TAXDAY22. The site offers a range of hormone- and antibiotic-free meats, including beef, lamb, poultry and pork, plus special product bundles.
Attention, Bones Club loyalty members. For this tax season (April 1 to April 18, 2022), loyalty members can get a $10 off coupon for any dine-in or online order over $25 at Smokey Bones. Not a Bones Club member? You can sign up during the promotion and still get the coupon.
Kona Ice has once again dubbed Tax Day “National Chill Out Day.” Its motto? “No taxation without relaxation!” You could swing by your favorite location for a free shaved ice.
Great American Cookies
Got a sweet tooth? Check out Great American Cookies for one free original Chocolate Chip Cookie on Tax Day. (This promotion has not officially been announced, but it is one that Great American Cookies has run consistently for several years. We’ll post an update as we get closer to Tax Day!)
Noodles & Company
Each weekend during April, Noodles & Co. Rewards Members have access to special deals. From April 1 to 3, members can get a free side of Mac & Cheese (or a side salad, but where’s the adventure in that?). Then from April 8 to 10, members can claim a free shareable when they purchase an entree. Actual Tax Day Weekend (April 15 to 17) brings free delivery, and then the April 22 to 24 offer is BOGO on small entrees.
Boston Market is offering a Tax Day Special on April 18 only. You can get a Half Chicken Individual Meal with two sides, cornbread, regular fountain drink and cookie, all for just $10.40 (get it? like Form 1040?). No coupon needed.
Miscellaneous Tax Day Deals
If you have a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards account, login and click the link for TurboTax. If you file using that link, you’ll earn 1,000 points when you file by April 18, 2022.
Get massive savings on a new phone during tax season. Straight Talk has excellent Tax Day discounts: up to 25% off a new smartphone. Tax Day 2022 is the last day of this promotion.
Need to work off all that stress? From April 15 to 18, Planet Fitness is offering a free workout and HyrdroMassage at any of its 2,200+ locations across the country.
Potential Tax Day Deals
In previous years, we wrote about some of these Tax Day deals. We’re cutting it close to 4/18, yet these brands haven’t updated their promos as of yet. It’s worth checking their sites in the coming days, however, to see what Tax Day freebies you may find:
- Bruegger’s Bagels previously offered a $10.40 Big Bagel Bundle deal, plus 20% off catering orders for pickup or delivery with the code “twentyoff.”
- When shopping for a used car, it’s a good idea to get a vehicle history report. CARFAX is not the only name in the business. Last year, ahead of Tax Day, Bumper offered 20% off vehicle history reports for anyone using that tax refund to buy a used car. We’ll update with details as we approach Tax Day.
- California Tortilla used to turn into a taco speakeasy. The password “chippin’ in” while ordering on Tax Day got you free chips and queso with any purchase.
- Cinnabon is known for giving out free treats with its Tax Day Bites promotion; however, the promotion varies by location, so be sure to check with your nearest Cinnabon before rushing out to cure that sweet tooth.
- Chuck E. Cheese previously gave parents a Tax Day break with some food and fun. They could get a large cheese pizza for free with the purchase of any large pizza – and if you said “I need a fun break,” you could get 50 free tickets as part of the spring break promotion.
- Dollar General has not yet announced a Tax Day sale, but the store historically offers great deals leading up to Tax Day.
- Firehouse Subs offered a free medium sub with the purchase of a medium or large sub, chips, and a drink.
- Got a sweet tooth? Check out Great American Cookies for one free original Chocolate Chip Cookie on Tax Day. (This promotion has not officially been announced, but it is one that Great American Cookies has run consistently for several years. We’ll post an update as we get closer to Tax Day!)
- The Hand and Stone Spa offered a “Relax the Tax” sale on a 1-hour introductory massage starting at $39.95.
- Hardees once had breakfast covered on Tax Day – all you had to do was stop by before 10 a.m. to enjoy a free sausage biscuit.
- Hot Dog on a Stick once gave one free Original Turkey Dog or Veggie Dog to every customer. If there’s one thing more American than taxes, it’s hot dogs.
- Last year, you could relax on Tax Day with a drink (or two!) at Kona Grill, which was offering up to two House, Skinny or Watermelon Margaritas for just $10.40.
- Is ice cream more your thing? Marble Slab Creamery, the sister brand to Great American Cookies, typically offers a free Regular Ice Cream when you buy another Regular or a Best Value Ice Cream. Again, this is only good on actual Tax Day. We’ll confirm this promotion closer to April 18.
- Schlotzsky’s treated guests to a free small original sandwich with the purchase of a drink and a bag of chips at participating locations on Tax Day – no coupon required. And its “Original” is anything but ordinary: It’s got ham, two kinds of salami and three kinds of cheese. Three kinds of cheese, guys.
- Sonic Drive-In has, in the past, offered half-price cheeseburgers all day long on Tax Day. What better way is there to eat your feelings about Tax Day, aside from washing it all down with half-price shakes, floats and ice cream slushes if you visit after 8 p.m.
- Sonny’s had a cheeky deal for Tax Day: The IRS (that’s Irresistible Ribs Special), a rib dinner plate, was half-price.
- Tony Roma’s was “writing off” some kickin’ shrimp in a previous tax season. Guests who presented the offer received a coupon for an order of kickin’ shrimp to use on their next visit. If you’re a member of the Tony Roma’s Email Club, you may receive the coupon in your inbox prior to Tax Day.
- Last year, WOWorks offered Tax Day discounts at all of its brands, including The Simple Gree, Garbanzo Mediterranean Fresh, Frutta Bowls and Saladworks. On Tax Day only, you could get your favorite entree for just $5.17 (because Tax Day was 5/17). We’ll keep you posted if WOWorks announces a $4.18 deal this year.
- Zeel offers in-home and on demand massage in over 85 cities and regions. During a previous tax season, it gave first-time customers $20 off their first massage for the entire month of April. Because leaving the house after you file your taxes is so overrated.
Contributor Timothy Moore has written about personal finance with specialities in banking and insurance since 2012. His work has appeared in publications such as Debt.com, Ladders, WDW Magazine, Glassdoor and The News Wheel.